Thursday, November 25, 2021

lest I forget


…then take care lest you forget the LORD, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.
Deuteronomy 6:12

Today is Thanksgiving Day. For many people in American culture the day is simply the official start of the rat race filled with holiday shopping, feasting, football and family. Its origins historically were at least Christian influenced, but that is being quickly lost in this generation.

So I’m going to let my Thanksgiving begin with reflection on this scripture. Deuteronomy 6:10-12 reminds Israel of the good gifts God was giving to them. 
  • He honored a promise to Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob in bringing them to Canaan. They did not earn it. It was a gift.
  • They moved into cities they did not build.
  • They moved into homes furnished with goods they did not buy.
  • Wells they did not dig watered them.
  • Farms, vineyards, and orchards that they did not plant fed them.
All the good stuff of their lives was a gracious gift of God.

And the unfortunate tendency would be to accept these gifts and then drift from thanking and remembering the God Who gave them. Humans will forget God if we don’t pay careful attention to regular worship, thanksgiving, and praise.

Lest I forget, here is my list:
  • I have life in Christ, forever, that I did not earn. 
  • I have the everlasting promises of God in Christ that I trust by faith… I did not make them. God did it all.
  • I have a home and family that God blesses me with daily.
  • I have the Church, the Body of Christ, as my family in Jesus… a deep gift I live in daily.
  • I have the blessing of being cared for by people who love me, even when I am imperfect in my love to them!
  • I have mission, purpose, and joy in the gospel that brings peace.
  • I have the honor, joy, and privilege of a life of ministry. Caring for people, though challenging and humbling, is rewarding. And God makes me a better man through all my family, all my friends, and all my experiences!

No comments:

Post a Comment