Monday, November 8, 2021

doing… not just saying


But to the wicked God says:
“What right have you to recite my statutes
or take my covenant on your lips?
For you hate discipline,
and you cast my words behind you.”
Psalm 50:16-17

One of the worst kinds of wickedness gives lip service to the Word of God, but lives far away from it. Those who may look impressive by reciting scripture or having a form of knowledge “about” God’s Word are not close to God at all if they fail to “do” God’s will as He has revealed it. God isn’t impressed with what we say we know. He wants us to live under the discipline of His will for us as His word reveals it to us. To fast-forward to the New Testament book of James: God wants doers of His Word, not just hearers of His Word.

This is of particular warning to those who have been “given much” in terms of scriptural truth. I have lived a half century, from childhood, in the American evangelical church. I have tons, literally tons, of published resources at my disposal, more than any Christian could digest in twenty lifetimes, for understanding God and His Word. I’ve invested my life and my resources in personal and academic study of biblical teaching, ancient language, and two thousand years of church history, teaching, and theology. Yet with all that, my sinful struggle is STILL to be superficial, to recite and parrot the truth, while secretly resisting the life-changing application of God’s Word.

Lord,
It does me no good to know only about You. I want to know Your Word, to know You, to experience transformation as a follower of Jesus. Forgive my sinful holding back, my wicked pride stops with just the facts. Give me a holy discontent with mental trivia so that I may be changed by the discipline of Your loving precepts, rebukes, and wisdom in what I do. I want Your words to lead the way for what I do… every day… for Your glory… to lead me to know You in all Your glory.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment