Monday, September 13, 2021

counter-intuitive relationships


But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.
Matthew 5:39

Jesus would never survive on social media. I mean look at how he expects people to treat one another:
  • Reject “an eye for an eye” retaliation. (Matthew 5:38)
  • Turn the other cheek. (Matthew 5:39)
  • Give up your cloak. (Matthew 5:40)
  • Go an extra mile. (Matthew 5:41)
  • Give to whoever asks. (Matthew 5:42)
  • Love your enemies. (Matthew 5:44)
  • Pray for your enemies. (Matthew 5:44)
  • Be perfect like God. (Matthew 5:48)
Ouch! How’s that ever going to be shareable on Facebook? None of those posts are going viral. No way. These actions are too soft… too weak… too wimpy. They are in no way self-promoting, which is sort of drag on your brand! They just aren’t going to be meme-worthy.

So Jesus expects those who live under His rule to act completely different in social interaction. They don’t assert opinions, demand rights, seek retaliation, come back with the perfect zinger, wrangle and fight, or poke fun at the viewpoints of others. And the standard is ultimately very high: Our actions with other people should treat them with the perfect love of God Who makes the sun He created shine on both evil men and righteous men, and sends rain to water the crops of both the just and the unjust.

So how would this look in my actions toward others? I want it said of me by both Christians and non-church attending friends: “He is a kind, caring, and generous friend to me. I don’t think he had any real enemies.” That sort of reputation is a goal in my heart and for my life.

But I struggle with being judgmental, being easily offended, highly opinionated, and very self-protective. Jesus, please remind me that in Your kingdom those sins are turned from and replaced with kindness, deference, generosity, understanding, and forgiveness. All those I learn from You while I trust in You.

No comments:

Post a Comment