Thursday, March 11, 2021

How well do I love?


This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. You are my friends if you do what I command you.
John 15:12-14

Jesus is talking with His disciples just before His coming arrest, trial, and crucifixion. He values the relationship that He has with these men. They are His chosen followers. They are the men who would take the gospel to the world. They are His friends.

He gives them a command: “Love one another.” That command has a standard: “as I have loved you.”. That standard is sacrifice: “Lay down his life for his friends.” Obeying that command in the way Jesus says to do in brings intimacy: “You are my friends.”

I am filled with lots of questions as I look at myself in the light of this passage. How well do I obey this command? Is my life marked by loving other people well? How often does my own selfish neediness keep me from following what Jesus wants of me here? These questions call me to love people well, particularly other Christians, so that Jesus might find His church doing His will right now.

Do I really love with Jesus as my standard? I ashamedly admit that selfish motives usually rule my love. Jesus patiently bore with His disciples’ spiritual dullness. He often told them the same truths until the message finally sank in. He gave Himself, eventually all His life, out of love for them. Would I dare to take my love to Calvary levels of sacrifice?

Am I experiencing the intimate friendship with Jesus that He promised here? I do think one reason for a dull walk with God is a diminished relationship with His people. If I want a vibrant life in Christ, I MUST also love His people like He does!

No comments:

Post a Comment