Friday, March 15, 2019

God known in nature


For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
Romans 1:20

I roam this earth and I see the power of God in His creation. I hear it in the ocean waves rolling into the shore. I see it in majestic mountains that climb ever higher in their power, seemingly into heaven’s heights. I smell it in the piney forest after a rain shower. I feel it in the soil’s warmth planting in the spring time. I sense it in the tug of a brook trout on a flyrod leaping through a gin clear mountain stream. I am in awe of the rings of Saturn seen through a telescope on a dark summer night. Creation sings the majesty of the Creator in a never ceasing symphony of praise, from birdsong, through thunderstorms, wave swells, and the sound of gentle snowfall!

Isaac Watts captured it with hymnody so breathtaking:
  1. I sing the mighty pow’r of God, that made the mountains rise,
    That spread the flowing seas abroad, and built the lofty skies.
    I sing the wisdom that ordained the sun to rule the day;
    The moon shines full at His command, and all the stars obey.
  2. I sing the goodness of the Lord, who filled the earth with food,
    Who formed the creatures through the Word, and then pronounced them good.
    Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed, where’er I turn my eye,
    If I survey the ground I tread, or gaze upon the sky.
  3. There’s not a plant or flow’r below, but makes Thy glories known,
    And clouds arise, and tempests blow, by order from Thy throne;
    While all that borrows life from Thee is ever in Thy care;
    And everywhere that we can be, Thou, God, art present there.

No comments:

Post a Comment