Tuesday, June 19, 2018

the forge

I have made you a tester of metals among my people,
that you may know and test their ways.
Jeremiah 6:27

As Jeremiah the prophet preached the Word of the LORD among the Jews in Judea, God was preparing His people for the purifying work of His judgment. Part of the prophetic work that Jeremiah did in faithfully proclaiming God’s Word was meant to draw out the “dross” of wickedness from the “pure silver” God hoped His people to be.

The Word of God blew like a hot bellows and the lead was poured on the metal to burn off the dross. But all that refining work done by Jeremiah in delivering God’s Word was in vain (Jeremiah 6:29). There was too much evil in the land and no repentance happened in response. The metal of Judah was useless. The Word of God tested His people and found them rebellious, slanderous, and corrupt. He rejected them and prepared them for the fires of judgment (Jeremiah 6:30).

The Word of God can still test the metal of hearts today. And there are times I feel its heat blow upon my heart, burning away at my impurities of thought, motivation, and pride. And after the forge fires, the Lord can them make of my life something better as I am led to humbly repent, confess my awful sin, trust my amazing gracious Lord, and be useful again for His purposes to make of this life whatever He wants. Thus cleansed, I can be found tested, approved, content and at peace... filled with the holiness of my Savior!

No comments:

Post a Comment