Thursday, June 7, 2018

listen to reproof


The ear that listens to life-giving reproof
will dwell among the wise.
Whoever ignores instruction despises himself,
but he who listens to reproof gains intelligence.
Proverbs 15:31-32

How I need to listen more! The longer I live, and the more people I get to know on this earth, the more I need to shut up and listen. God has placed around me good people whose insights into my life can be used to make me wiser and better. He is very gracious to bring me opportunity to receive corrective insights from the perspectives of other people. It is a joy to know this kind of growth opportunity. And as long as I keep my selfish pride from interfering, I can know the growth that comes from insightful reproof.

This proverb encourages me to listen and pay heed to these insights as an important tool for personal growth. It is also a form of self-care to process and receive reproof. I’m promised to be smarter with the wise application of these insights. This is why God designed me to live in community. He uses this community to help me to “dwell among the wise” and gain life intelligence.

Lord,
Help me to listen more, to trust what You are doing with the people You’ve placed in my life to speak to my heart and bring growth and healthy change. Forgive my sinful refusals to consider life-giving reproof. Help me to dwell with the wise, to care for myself by learning from what other people point out in me, and to follow in obedience the things that should change in order to live in Your wisdom.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment