Wednesday, May 30, 2018

engaging memory for God’s glory


I remember the days of old;
I meditate on all that you have done;
I ponder the work of your hands.
Psalm 143:5

I remember. It is good to remember God and what He is doing in the world. Part of the reason I journal is that in writing down my reflections upon scripture, I remember what God is doing. I can go back to “days of old” (that started in 1981 with my journaling in high school) and can read and remember how far God has taken me. And with 100 journals now on my shelves, that is a lot of “hard evidence” for God’s work in my life. It is good to remember the past work of God.

I meditate. But remembering is just the start. I also need to actively think on just how greatly God has worked in my life. And that involves the process of meditation. I fill my mind with the word of God while remembering what God has done. This is one reason why I choose to frame my journaling around scripture. This is not a diary of events or a calendar agenda that I choose to remember when I journal. It is deeper. These are the thoughts and events and work of God that He is doing to shape my soul! I meditate on scripture and God’s activity in my life to gain an eternal perspective on the here and now.

I ponder. From that scriptural saturation, I can ponder what God has made of this life. And in that insight I am grateful. I should not have the joys, the blessings, the leadership, or the responsibilities I have based solely on my natural talents. These are instead, all gifts from God... blessings that have come from the sanctifying work of His Son, His Spirit, and His Word. I ponder what He has made of this life... I am humbled and worshipful. God gets the glory.

No comments:

Post a Comment