Wednesday, March 21, 2018

stone of help



Then Samuel took a stone and set it up between Mizpah and Shen and called its name Ebenezer; for he said, “Till now the Lord has helped us.”
1 Samuel 7:12

The prophet and judge, Samuel, set up this stone to commemorate a great victory and help heal painful memories. God led His people from a humiliating defeat and national tragedy (30,000 troops killed in battle) back to a place of victory over the enemy. Israel had been morally and militarily defeated by the Philistines. The ark of the covenant was captured and cities were occupied by the enemy.

After suffering through this, Israel turned again to God. The nation repented at Mizpah and Samuel led a revival prayer meeting there. And at that point things began to turn around. God fought for Israel (1 Samuel 7:10) and the army was strengthened to drive the Philistines out of Israel’s territory again (1 Samuel 7:11). God turned around the situation in one day, once Israel repented and worshiped. And that is what led “Ebenezer” to be erected as a monument to God’s deliverance of His people. All who saw this stone of help would know the story and rejoice in God’s salvation.

I am nothing outside of God’s help. I have no life outside what Jesus has saved me to live. And I sing:
“Here I raise my Ebenezer
Hither by They help I’ve come
And I hope by Thy good pleasure
Safely to arrive at home
Jesus sought me when a stranger
Wandering from the fold of God
He to rescue me from danger
Interposed His precious blood.”

No comments:

Post a Comment