Friday, February 16, 2018

a song against fear


“Be still, and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!”
Psalm 46:10

This is a song against our deepest fears. And in it God Himself calls for us to calm ourselves in His worship, to know Him and know that He is making Himself known by the praise of the nations of the earth. There are three verses to its melody.

The song opens with a strong statement of God’s help as He is our refuge and strength in all trouble. This stabilizes our souls when fear shakes us in catastrophic circumstances (Psalm 46:1-3). It equips us to face the unthinkable.

Then we see how this trust in God helps bring true joy. God’s presence is with those who trust in Him. This makes fearful hearts glad, confident in the help that God brings, despite the threats from nations that rage against God. God will demolish the threats we fear with one simple utterance of His voice, providing safety and security again, and He is so strong that a mere word defeats our fears (Psalm 46:4-7).

Finally, the song in a third verse calls us to behold what God has done. We view the shattered, desolate remains of what we once feared. All the weapons aimed against us are broken, shattered, and burned. And as we stand in wonder in the wreckage of what we once feared, we hear God’s voice calling us: “Be still and know that I am God.” He is with us, always our strong fortress (Psalm 46:8-11).

O God my fortress,
I still and quiet my anxious soul in You. I long for Your peace to make an end of the circumstances that tempt me to fear. I have tried to control them in a vain hope that my own power would save me from the anxiety. I’ve missed seeing Your great power. I repent and I trust. I will see You exalted above this present personal turmoil. You will make an end of what looks impossible to me. Yes, I will trust.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment