Thursday, December 28, 2017

beyond death


Mary Magdalene went and announced to the disciples, “I have seen the Lord”—and that he had said these things to her.
John 20:18

Jesus is alive. The story of redemption is complete because Jesus is no longer dead. He has risen just as He said. Death has no more power over us. Sin no longer must be our master. By dying our death and now living, Jesus has given us our victory. The sorrow of death is turned into the joy of sins forgiven and eternal salvation as our future.

Facing death of a loved one, as well as celebrating Christmas, and being at this point in John’s gospel all in the last seven days has been an interesting work of God’s sovereign hand. I’ve realized at this stage of my life I will simply face more death, and eventually my own. That’s not morbidity, just part of aging. And the gospel gets so much clearer as the cold, hard truth of death keeps itself before me. There is resurrection and life in Christ who came to save His people. There is absence from the body and presence with the Lord. And in that comfort of the gospel is all that I need. And I am beyond comforted. I am strengthened knowing that loved ones who have trusted Christ are with Him and that I am with Him too and one day will be with them. This is confident assurance that robs death of its fear and its worst damage. Jesus is stronger and better!

Mary Magdalene saw the Lord and reported what He said to her. The disciples saw the Lord in resurrected power and were empowered to preach the gospel to their world. These are historical facts. And that same gospel message has been the content of all my faith since I first believed it so long ago. It is the foundation on which I have lived and will continue to live until the day when I too know that death is swallowed up in victory as my soul continues to live with my Risen Savior... my living, loving Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment