Monday, July 24, 2017

rescue from the cruelest sword


I will sing a new song to you, O God;
upon a ten-stringed harp I will play to you,
who gives victory to kings,
who rescues David his servant from the cruel sword.
Psalm 144:9-10

David's heart was filled with praise because of God's rescuing grace. He had been delivered from the hands of enemies. David was a warrior king. This psalm is filled with images from his military career as he prays to the God Who equipped him to battle Israel's foes (Psalm 144:1). He gives all credit to God for the progress Israel made against enemies (Psalm 144:2).

God delivered David and saved the nation despite human frailty (Psalm 144:3-4). He did it showing His power against foreign powers bent on discrediting David and the nation (Psalm 144:5-8). The Lord was the power and the leader behind every victory David knew as command in chief. God rescued the king and made His people great.

I identify with this psalm at a spiritual level, because living for Jesus is a lifetime spiritual battle. Some people aren't too fond of Christians. And another Christian leader's failure would be celebrated by many outside of the faith. So God must strengthen my hands and bring victory against the lies of sin that I must fight for and with myself and with others. Like David, I will praise God as He does this.

No comments:

Post a Comment