Friday, July 14, 2017

humble, obedient child


An argument arose among them as to which of them was the greatest. But Jesus, knowing the reasoning of their hearts, took a child and put him by his side and said to them, “Whoever receives this child in my name receives me, and whoever receives me receives him who sent me. For he who is least among you all is the one who is great.”
Luke 9:46-48

The social structure Jesus believed and taught is vastly different than those we would construct. Jesus does not construct His on power or fame. Instead, He bases His on humility and obedience. As His disciples repeatedly argue over their own perceived individual "greatness", Jesus quietly calls a child to His side to illustrate humble obedience.

Jesus shuts down the childish fighting of His disciples with the childlike humility demonstrated by the child at His side. He called His disciples to learn from this child... to be kids again. Receiving the child who obeyed Jesus' call would be like receiving Jesus Who obeyed the Father's call. Only then would they also know God. Only by humility and obedience can one know how to live as God intends.

And so must I, with the humble faith of an obedient son come to God. It saves me from delusions of my own significance. It positions me to serve God and others like Jesus did... in humble obedience to my Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment