Wednesday, June 28, 2017

praying leadership

 
As soon as King Hezekiah heard it, he tore his clothes and covered himself with sackcloth and went into the house of the Lord.
2 Kings 19:1

King Hezekiah was a godly man whose first response in a crisis was repentance, prayer, and seeking the Lord. He publically modeled what the nation of Judah needed to see as Jerusalem faced imminent invasion from Assyria. He did not make unilateral decisions from his throne in his palace. He fell instead to his knees in sackcloth before the LORD in His temple. This was a man of earnest faith in God.

Hezekiah also reached out to God's prophet, Isaiah, with a request that the prophet also pray for Judah and the people of Jerusalem (2 Kings 19:2-7). He wants to not only pray to God, but to hear from God through His prophet. Hezekiah is quick to repent, eager to pray and seek God, and ready to hear and obey the Word of the Lord. This is the best response to the Assyrian threat that confronted Jerusalem at that time.

I look to Hezekiah's example and am encouraged to view my leadership challenges exactly the same way. There is never a time in my ministry where I can back off from repentance, prayer, and seeking God. And so I am on my knees again today, for only God can deliver His people, provide the direction we need, and make His name great! I'll get out of the way, so that God can be at work and can use me, and that God can bless the leadership He has chosen to give me, for His glory!

No comments:

Post a Comment