Tuesday, June 20, 2017

a life worthy of the gospel

 
Only let your manner of life be worthy of the gospel of Christ, so that whether I come and see you or am absent, I may hear of you that you are standing firm in one spirit, with one mind striving side by side for the faith of the gospel, and not frightened in anything by your opponents. This is a clear sign to them of their destruction, but of your salvation, and that from God.
Philippians 1:27-28

And in this admonition of Paul's, I find strength for today. Living a life worthy of the gospel does not mean that I "earn" the salvation that I have. I can't do that. Christ loves me and died for me while I was a sinner and God's enemy. Only His work saves. My works damn me.

But I must live a life that shows gospel change and makes a difference BECAUSE Jesus has saved me. I must be changed by Jesus to live like Him in this world. I must love people like Jesus does. Gospel love gives up, sacrifices, humbles itself before others. It gives to others without thought of the cost. Gospel love for Jesus and for others brings Christians together in unity, sharing the gospel story, embracing it as our story together, and spreading the faith we have. Gospel love does not divide the church along petty doctrinal differences... it frees us to share good news the world needs!

Oh that God will give me that grace to stand firm with my Christian family, working side by side for the faith of the gospel so that others will know Jesus! That is what makes my life count. That is how I can live worthy of the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment