Friday, November 18, 2016

the Jesus I know

 
When he had said this, he showed them his hands and his side. Then the disciples were glad when they saw the Lord.
John 20:20

I would have been unable to speak had I been in this room at this moment. Jesus shows Himself in resurrection power to His disciples. They were hiding together in a locked room and suddenly Jesus appeared to them all. He bid them to know His peace. He showed them the wounds of His crucifixion. They know it is Jesus. They rejoice. Their fear is turned to faith and their sorrows burst into joy.

The disciples' encounter with Jesus is one of encouragement and exultation. They are encouraged as they praise their risen Lord. They had seen Him first so long ago as an intriguing teacher -- a rabbi to follow. Then Jesus showed Himself to be a healer and miracle worker Who made the blind to see, fed the crowds supernaturally, and even raised the dead back to life. But now, standing before them having defeated death Himself, He was clearly the all powerful God of all things. He is their Lord.

Every Christian who has encountered Jesus since the time of the apostles has encountered the risen Lord and King in all His power. Every awareness I have had of Jesus has been as the One Who has won over death and has proven Himself to be the perfect sacrifice for my sin. I only know a risen Savior and Lord. I can't have Jesus any other way! And I too am so glad that this is the Jesus I know. 

No comments:

Post a Comment