Monday, May 16, 2016

the relationship and reward of discipleship

 
If anyone serves me, he must follow me; and where I am, there will my servant be also. If anyone serves me, the Father will honor him.
John 12:26

Service is part of discipleship. And disciples follow Jesus in relationship to their Master. Disciples are found with Jesus, serving Jesus. That is the relationship Jesus describes in the first part of this verse. To truly serve Jesus I must first be His disciple. And disciples are living in the presence of their Master. You want to find Jesus? He will be with and among His serving disciples. That is the RELATIONSHIP of discipleship.

But Jesus also tells us about the REWARD of discipleship in the last half of John 12:26. The one who serves Jesus, who is found in Jesus and with the Master, is honored by the Father. God the Father blesses, keeps, and rewards those who serve and follow the Son. The relationship that disciples have with Jesus pleases God. In fact, it is the only way to please the Father. And God will honor them because disciples give up everything and die to their old lives so that they may serve, follow, and receive the new life only Jesus can give (John 12:24-25).

Lord Jesus, my Master,
I will follow You all my days. It is hard to die to self, but the full life found in You is worth it. I will serve You. I will be found with You. And I seek the Father's honor, not by my own merits, but in Your death and new life. Grace calls me to follow You, for only You can save me.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment