Monday, May 9, 2016

rhythm of praise

 
It is good to give thanks to the Lord,
to sing praises to your name, O Most High;
to declare your steadfast love in the morning,
and your faithfulness by night,
Psalm 92:1-2

Praise and thankfulness expressed toward God are a great occupation of our time. These are some of the best things we can do. We should value praise and worship. Sometimes I wonder though, do I really see worship as one of my most valued activities? I have to fight the entropy of my life that associates praise as a Sunday morning only corporate worship tradition. Instead, this psalm encourages a broader vision that takes my soul deeper in my day to day.

The rhythm of worship expressed here is not weekly and not just limited to corporate gatherings. It is a daily expression of praise, vowing to declare God's love each morning, anticipating God to work at the start of each new day, and ending each day thankful for His faithfulness each evening, recounting God's goodness to me and deliberately remembering it. And that is a daily worship cycle worth committing to follow. It is the best way to frame my days and to format my outlook on each new day.

Beginning each morning in praise of the great love of God in Christ, and ending each evening simply breathing out a thankful prayer for God's faithful grace all day long as it has come to me, should be the way I set my running pace for life. It is true worship from the heart. It will also make me a better worshipper on Sunday. It is the way to "tune my heart to sing" for the Lord at all times. It is as important to the soul as breathing or eating are to the body. And these regular morning and evening cycles can become a spiritually sustaining life rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment