Wednesday, May 25, 2016

biodiversity and praise

 
O Lord, how manifold are your works!
In wisdom have you made them all;
the earth is full of your creatures.
Psalm 104:24

In this psalm general revelation (the created universe) and special revelation (the Word of God) sing a duet of praise to God. The Lord is celebrated as a magnificent Creator Whose vast wisdom is seen in the diversity of the natural world. The psalmist takes particular delight in the living creatures of planet earth as they point to their Creator.

I too am drawn to this worship. When I spend time outdoors, particularly in wilderness, I am compelled with big, worship-filled thoughts about God. I can find these moments fishing a mountain stream, or wandering through Midwestern woods. I've had them flushing pheasants from a Kansas field, and snorkeling a Caribbean reef. I can take in an alpine vista where peaks pierce the clouds, or I can listen to the heartbeat rhythm of the earth sitting in the sand by ocean surf. All of these moments point to the creative genius and power of God.

With the hymn of praise that this world sings, I harmonize right along: "Lord, how Thy wonders are displayed, where'er I turn my eye... If I survey the ground I tread, or gaze upon the sky." God of all creatures, I will, along with all Your creation, worship You. Amen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment