Tuesday, January 12, 2016

humbly transformed

But I will leave in your midst
a people humble and lowly.
They shall seek refuge in the name of the Lord,
those who are left in Israel;
they shall do no injustice
and speak no lies,
nor shall there be found in their mouth
a deceitful tongue.
For they shall graze and lie down,
and none shall make them afraid.
Zephaniah 3:12-13

This promise of God to Israel is fulfilled in the aftermath of the Day of the Lord. Israel would know the peace, promises, and be able to live in obedience to the covenant the Lord make with them. He would leave behind after that day a group of people most known for their humility and service. They would be God worshipers who would find strength in the Lord. They would be honest, upright, truthful and just before God and other people. God would do this in them and they would live in complete peace.

I find in this promise to a future Israel some understanding similar to what God desires of me today as a follower of Jesus. He asked me to be humble in my initial repentance and faith to the gospel. There is no room for pride either in the worship of God or in a life marked by the gospel day by day. I am a miserably wicked sinner humbled and broken but made anew only in and by Christ's atoning work. I trust in that. Jesus wants me to reflect His character... to repent of my selfish injustices done to others, to repent of self-promoting lies. My Savior wants me marked by transparent honesty before Him and the people around me so that His transforming work can be put on display. And I desire for that motive to move me. May His Spirit show me my sin so that I can be just that!

No comments:

Post a Comment