Tuesday, October 14, 2014

always before me

I have set the LORD always before me;

because he is at my right hand, I shall not be shaken.

Psalm 16:8


God is always present. We cannot run from His intimate involvement in our lives. But we must be more than just aware of this. We must incline our hearts toward God so that we personally apply ourselves to the advantage that comes with the accessibility of a God Who is near.


David kept God "always before" him. He preoccupied his thoughts and purposes around God. Not only was God always with David, but David made conscious choices to keep his awareness focused upon God. And that way in which David applied himself to the relationship he had with God made all the difference. God was near, and David did not have to succumb to his worst fears. He could trust God because God was his foremost life's thought and commitment.


There is a strength in personally committing to good theology. It is one thing thought to just know that the scriptures teach God's omnipresence. It is a much better thing to hold your heart close to the nearness of God and habituate your life's experiences around that fact. Personal disciplines that center my day around Bible reading and prayer help to focus me in this way. And my life has been blessed even in struggles when I do this. So I purpose to set the LORD always before me.

No comments:

Post a Comment