Thursday, January 8, 2026

James 1: an outline for enduring trial

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him.  James 1:5

I think I will spend some time camped out in James chapter 1 for a while. The theme of “enduring in difficulty” is carried through all of it, and right now, at the beginning of this new year is the perfect season for me to understand the strengthening and encouraging truths that the apostle James preaches to those undergoing trial. As a pastor, I am actively shepherding several people through the most difficult passages of their lives this year. 2026 seems scary for some. I need James’ words to become my words to them. And individually, I too realize that although there are definite joys ahead for me in 2026, I also know that I must navigate a hard passage first to get to them. I personally really need the wisdom and grace of James chapter one speaking to me to bring the perspective and faith I need to ride out the storm.

A quick flyover of what I want to explore from this rich sermon from James: 

1) the joy of trials (1:1-4). 

2) the wisdom in trials (1:5-8). 

3) the humility in trials (1:9-11).

4) the temptation in trials (1:12-16).

5) the blessing of trials (1:17-18).

6) the outcome of trials: hearing AND doing (1:19-27).

These six facets of trial, suffering, growth, and maturity are vital, significant, and life-building. I want to know them well.

Lord,

Grant me wisdom over the next few weeks as I “camp” in James 1 for Your wisdom about suffering and trial. Help me see Your purpose and help me to trust You through trial. Give me insight into my own experience and truth to help others see Your perspective and wisdom. Grow me in knowing the good in the hard things that will happen.

You grow us only in this broken world by challenges, struggles, opposition, persecution, mistreatment by others, suffering, temptation-fighting, and patience. Help us lean into wisdom as Your people. See us through in order to endure for Your glory and our good!

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment