Thursday, June 29, 2023

God brings the grief


For the Lord will not
cast off forever,
but, though he cause grief, he will have compassion
according to the abundance of his steadfast love;
for he does not afflict from his heart
or grieve the children of men.
Lamentations 3:31-33

These observations about God need to be understood in the context of God’s judgment. Nonetheless, there are insights into God’s care for the hurting that apply in other pains. We need to read these insights with three truths specific to Jerusalem’s historic judgment in mind: 1) At this point in biblical history, Israel had for several generations rejected God’s rule and His law. 2) God patiently and passionately warned them through prophets. There were several small cycles of repentance that slowed His judgment of them. 3) God’s judgment, when it did finally arrive, was severe in spite of the generations of patience on His part. So their suffering ended up being severe as well. They only had themselves to blame at that point.

I am not sure that I can fully know then the exact kind of grief that Jeremiah laments in this book. Christ has taken all my judgment on the cross. I DO NOT believe that any of my present difficulties are a divine judgment upon my sin. But I do still have a level of suffering. Yet even with this faith perspective applied to my situation, I see in the promises made here several comforting principles rooted in the character and the purposes of God.

1. Grief is only a season. It does not last forever. Any difficulties now are temporary in the light of the big picture of my life, and certainly not even a blip on the timeline of eternity. I am hopeful that just as winter always changes into spring, this season will turn slowly and beautifully because God does not cast off forever. 

2. God takes responsibility for our seasons of suffering. This passage directly says God brings what causes grief. He knew what He was doing! He knew how I would be right now and in His wisdom and in His love meets me in the grief I have from what He has caused. He is in control then, and though I may not like where I am, I love that He is always here with me!

3. God brings compassion and grace to what He has caused. And this is the insight with the most comfort! It is why Job could say, “The Lord gives… the Lord takes away… blessed be His name.” I have known God deeper and better in life’s hard times than I have ever known Him when it has all been so easy. This is a precious thing!

4. Even judgment is not God’s first desire. He is patient. He does not willingly grieve or afflict us. I trust His heart on this, and believe that this is the case. I refuse to EVER be angry at Him or with Him, knowing these things about Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment