Thursday, December 16, 2021

remembering the precious and powerful


I consider the days of old,
the years long ago.
Psalm 77:5

I keep a journal as a means of remembering, recording, and reflecting on God’s Word and work in my experience. Psalm 77 has insight in the process and reasons to do this. Here’s an outline:

1. Remembering can hurt. God can feel distant. (Psalm 77:1-3)
    A.  Faith cries out from the soul. (Psalm 77:1-2a)
    B.  Feelings confuse the soul. (Psalm 77:2b-3)
          1. Lack of comfort
          2. Expressions of sorrow
          3. Spiritual weakness

II.  Remembering can haunt. God can leave unanswered questions. (Psalm 77:4-9)
      A. Comfortless lack of sleep. (Psalm 77:4-6a)
      B.  Answerless litany of questions. (Psalm 77:6b-9) There are 5 listed. They are answered at the end of the psalm.

III.  Remembering can heal. God does great wonders and works. (Psalm 77:10-20)
       A.  Choose to believe despite feelings. (Psalm 77:10)
       B.  Conviction based on God’s person and work. (Psalm 77:11-20)
             1.  God’s unique work (Psalm 77:11-12)
             2.  God’s unique person (Psalm 77:13)
             3.  God’s unique revelation (Psalm 77:14)
             4.  God’s unique salvation (Psalm 77:15)
             5.  God’s unique covenant with His people (Psalm 77:16-20)

The multi-faceted reality of remembering is aided by writing it down. And the real beauty of the process is known when I read past journals regularly. Not only do I remember and worship God for His past faithfulness, but I deeply relate with my Father because those reflections came in the forging of my heart. I see God. I see what He is doing in me. Difficult or delightful, remembering all of that precious work of God is preserved and celebrated in journaling. God does great work!

No comments:

Post a Comment