Monday, December 13, 2021

How the Spirit helps us know God


Now we have received not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might understand the things freely given us by God. And we impart this in words not taught by human wisdom but taught by the Spirit, interpreting spiritual truths to those who are spiritual.
1 Corinthians 2:12-13

Christians can know, believe, and be blessed with the truth of God’s Word because we have the gift of God’s Holy Spirit with us Who helps us fully understand God’s truth. We aren’t brilliant in and of ourselves. We MUST have the Holy Spirit’s insight into God’s Word in order to be taught what God wants us to know. The Spirit’s rule is indispensable. He makes the difference between knowing ABOUT God and TRULY knowing God possible. With the Spirit’s help, as I open my Bible and read the pages, I can freely understand what God says. Furthermore, Paul says Bible teachers are led by the Holy Spirit to impart truth that is not merely human, but that is also taught to us by the Holy Spirit of God.

So as I intake scripture, both in my own study, and in the preaching of the Word from others, I humbly ask the Holy Spirit to lead, to interpret, to teach, and to freely give me God’s Truth. It isn’t a habit of study alone that helps me. It isn’t the longevity of 51 years of Christian exposure to instruction that makes God known to me. This is ALL the work of God’s Holy Spirit in my spirit. Every time the Book is read this is true. And that direct spiritual encounter is needed, appreciated, and a wonder to my soul.

Spirit of God,
I thank You for Your precious ministry of making that which is spiritual known in me. Forgive me for thinking I have my own insights. You make the truth clear. You reveal Jesus. You instruct me. You lead me to understand God’s truth so that I might have the mind of Christ!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment