Monday, June 7, 2021

the closest thing I have to a “life verse”


Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ.
1 Peter 1:13

I first came across this verse when I was a teenager and for over forty years now it has motivated me to follow Jesus. Here are some reasons, directly from this verse, for why I believe this verse compels me:

1) It anchors me in the big story of the gospel. The “therefore” at the beginning pulls us back to 1 Peter 1:10 — “concerning this salvation”. Peters goes on in the context to say that all the Old Testament story told the centuries long drama in order to get to Jesus and His sufferings and glories. The prophets themselves thus served all those who would believe in Jesus (see 1 Peter 1:12). This big story is the message sent by the Holy Spirit straight to my heart. I believed it in 1971. It is a story so precious, that a holy God would send His Son to die for sinners to make them sons, that even angels long to look into this wonderful big story.

2) It calls me to an active and thoughtful life in Jesus. Christianity is not privately passive. To “prepare your minds for action” is an athletic metaphor. It literally means to strip down to athletic wear for competition… the old King James Version had it as “gird up the loins of your mind” in a delightful mixed metaphor. Runners would do this in ancient times so that no garments would restrict them in their run. My mind is where I first serve Jesus, and I don’t need any loose distractions there tripping me up! I have to be ready to run! I need the Word of God and the Spirit of God to trim away the weight and focus my thinking!

3) It calls me to serious service. I am to be sober-minded. Being a follower of Jesus requires serious commitment. Yes, it is enjoyable…. greatly enjoyable and true peace and laughter comes in following Jesus. Yet it is a very serious commitment. Life and death, heaven and hell, judgment and peace… all these attend with gospel belief and proclamation. I can’t be flippant about that. It is joyful but it is still quite serious!

4) It calls me to the long run. I set my hope to the vision that scripture gives of that future day when Jesus returns. My hope will be complete only then. This isn’t a sprint, it is a marathon. And the big picture gospel story convinces me Jesus is winning by saving people right now, the church is where Jesus wins, and He will come to rule and judge this earth, winning over all on that day! The gospel puts me on the winning team. But in many ways the game is not over yet, and I must pace myself for the long run. And so I serve, waiting for the day when Jesus returns! Come quickly, Lord Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment