Monday, June 14, 2021

housing boom?


You looked for much, and behold, it came to little. And when you brought it home, I blew it away. Why? declares the LORD of hosts. Because of my house that lies in ruins, while each of you busies himself with his own house.
Haggai 1:9

God takes to task the returned exiles in Jerusalem who had begun building the temple again, only to pause and then put all their energy into luxurizing their own lifestyles in a home remodeling craze that became an idolatrous desertion from truly worshiping the Lord. The biggest trend in home interiors? …expensive custom-crafted wood panels (Haggai 1:4). If there had been an HGTV in that day, they all would have vied to be featured properties on the show “Jerusalem Gems”. Property values soared. Character values sank. And God had to frustrate their efforts with dissatisfaction and loss in order to get their attention back to repentance and worship.

There is nothing inherently wrong with home improvement. And enjoying a safe and secure dwelling with family is truly a gift from God. What God is taking issue with through this prophet’s message is the abandonment of worship in His house for the total commitment of only caring about my house. In today’s terms: Should I skip church every Sunday so I can finally get the kitchen of my dreams? When I define my life, my purpose, my happiness, my significance, and my status by the home I can afford, I may be succeeding in terms of the American Dream, but I am failing in terms of humbly worshiping my God. And playing the wrong game has eternal implications.

I have a home. I’m not interested in an earthly upgrade, even when a red hot real estate market tempts me to consider it. I’m happy to maintain what most people would call a “starter home” but that raised a family of four, and may just be the place I live in until Jesus takes me home. I feel blessed greatly by God to own it. But honestly, it is not where my heart is “at home”. My heart looks for the day when I forever dwell with Jesus, Who has gone to prepare a place for all who believe in Him, to receive us there, so where Jesus is, I may also be. My temporary abode until then should never be confused with the joy of living in Christ, now and for eternity.

No comments:

Post a Comment