Wednesday, July 11, 2018

damning duplicity


When you present your gifts and offer up your children in fire, you defile yourselves with all your idols to this day. And shall I be inquired of by you, O house of Israel? As I live, declares the Lord God, I will not be inquired of by you.
Ezekiel 20:31

The hypocrisy displayed by the Jerusalem leaders coming to the prophet Ezekiel during difficult times to “inquire of the Lord” would not be tolerated by God. They had burned their children in pagan idolatry and now wanted to hear from God! In answer to their request, God recounts the history of Israel’s continual rejection of Him for idols, from the Exodus from Egypt, through the wilderness, into the Promised Land, and up to that very moment. In every episode, Israel rejected God. In every episode, God had the right to judge, yet showed remarkable mercy to them. But now God would act decisively in a strong judgment upon them. And He would not hold back His wrath because He knew these people had no intention whatsoever of turning from their idols when they inquired of Him. It was not repentance.

Sin is an insult to God. And when we pretend to worship God while still treasuring our false worship and sins, God will not hear us. It is a serious matter to love something else above God. Our idolatry condemns us before God. It is why we must regularly repent and trust only what Jesus has done for us... not our own efforts... not our hopes in something of this world.

O God,
You are holy and deserve my undivided worship. I cringe knowing my heart is drawn to idols and from You all too easily. I want to turn from these idols, to Your Son for the grace only You give so I may have His righteousness plead for me before You... always.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment