Tuesday, May 2, 2017

new day... new song

Oh sing to the Lord a new song;
sing to the Lord, all the earth!
Sing to the Lord, bless his name;
tell of his salvation from day to day.
Psalm 96:1-2

 
I begin my day with this exuberant call to worship. It is my chance to sing to the Lord a new song. I am thinking about what that means this morning. Certainly there is reason to compose an all new tune and lyric. God can be worshiped in new ways, but the themes are always the same because He never changes... He is great, powerful, gracious, forgiving, holy, just, pure, loving, judging of sin, merciful, almighty, etc. Any new tune resounds an ancient theme.

But I can also sing anew with an old and faithful hymn that has served Christians well. And that is usually the deepest way I have to worship from my heart. The old hymns have become dear to the church for a reason. They have told of God's salvation day to day for generations and with them my soul can sing with new vigor, making an old hymn a new song, and joining the uninterrupted praise of dear saints who have gone before me.

This call to sing and bless the Lord, telling of His salvation from day to day with a new song brings my soul to worship this morning. I enter it even this moment as springtime birdsong awakens my neighborhood. And in my soul-song my heart focuses on my Lord and His love for me forever shown in what Jesus has done. I praise Jesus for His great salvation accomplished for us, and my new day begins in joyous, tear-filled, wonder and praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment