Friday, May 26, 2017

free to serve in love

 
For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.
Galatians 5:13

An understanding of my freedom in Christ calls me to live in love within the liberation of the Body of Christ. Freedom is not about self-gratifying desires to do what I want all for me. Freedom instead is really known when Christ sets us free from selfishness to love other people as He did. Freedom is known in loving service to people, expressed through the church, serving as Christ has done.

My flesh wants self-serving definitions of freedom to rule my heart. I need this clear admonition in scripture so that I might enjoy true freedom by loving and serving other people like my Lord does. Jesus made Himself nothing. Jesus humbled Himself. Jesus obeyed His Father's will. Jesus gave His life in love. Jesus became a servant so that many would come to God and know His love.

If I want to serve others through love, I must obey my Master and serve others as He does. And that is freedom. It liberates me from selfish, sinful preoccupation. It conforms me to my Savior. It shows Christ through me, which truly frees me!

No comments:

Post a Comment