Monday, April 24, 2017

where righteousness and peace meet

 
You forgave the iniquity of your people;
you covered all their sin. Selah
You withdrew all your wrath;
you turned from your hot anger.
Psalm 85:2-3

This psalm of worship, written for the temple worship in Jerusalem was meant to call God's people to rejoice in their salvation solely provided by the great grace of God. It worships God for His saving deliverance. It acknowledges the need all people have to have sins atoned. It states clearly that the correct response of God to our sin is holy wrath and anger. It rejoices in the mercies of a forgiving God Who revives and restores His repentant people.

The reminders of God's willingness to display His steadfast love and faithfulness to us are precious truths. One of the most vivid poetic images of all the Bible is found in Psalm 85:10, where God so steadfastly shows His love for us that righteousness and peace kiss one another. And that kiss is known for us fully in Jesus. But God has always sought for us to know His love, faithfulness, righteousness, and peace. Our sin keeps us from these things. His forgiving mercies extend them to us in Christ.

O God of such grace,
I call out to You, knowing my need. I am a sinner who is only able to come beg for Your mercies and be free from Your righteous wrath because Your Son's death atoned my sin. You reached out and forgave the life-debt I owed. And in Jesus righteousness and peace kiss each other and extend their tender love to the forgiven sinner. Thank You, Lord!

Let me never undervalue this great mercy in Jesus. May I always worship You cognizant of my utter helplessness as a lost sinner and living in the new joy of forgiven new life. You have set me free from the law of sin and death. Gospel truth and love guide me. May I rest in that today.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment