Friday, April 28, 2017

one answer to two big questions

 
What man can live and never see death?
Who can deliver his soul from the power of Sheol? Selah
Psalm 89:48

Talk about wrestling with the big questions! This psalm was meant to be a song of worship and it asks two really big ones in one small verse. Imagine singing this one in church today! Probably not a big one for contemporary praise and worship Top 40! Of course we intuitively know the answers to the questions asked here. It's kind of a downer. Every generation knows the answers. The statistics on death are airtight. One out of every one person dies. That includes me. That includes the people that I love. It is a global constant.

Except for Jesus. Jesus died and rose again to give life. His life answers the second question. He can deliver our souls from the power of the grave. He can take away the anxiety over the big questions. He can make death not the end, but an entrance into eternal life. The good news of the gospel is that death has lost its sting.

O Lord Jesus,
Thank You that death no longer casts a long shadow over my soul! I will see it one day, as but a shadow in a valley. And You will pass through it with me. And I will be face to face with You. You have delivered my soul from death! Praise be to God!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment