Thursday, December 10, 2015

people at their worst; God at His best

Rejoice not over me, O my enemy;
when I fall, I shall rise;
when I sit in darkness,
the Lord will be a light to me.
Micah 7:8

Why did the prophet have this confidence? The picture painted here at the end of the book of Micah is not so rosey. The chapter opens with mourning in a deep personal vein: "Woe is me!" (Micah 7:1) It goes on to describe Judah in wicked rebellion: "the godly have perished from the earth" (Micah 7:2). The description of the results of such ungodliness are so severe that the prophet trusts no one (Micah 7:5), yet there is hope in God to be the only bringer of salvation (Micah 7:7).

Even when people are at their worst, God is at His best, and that is why Micah had this confidence. He knew God could save even a rebel nation. He knew God could work to move the people back to Him either in stern judgment or overwhelming grace. And Micah had hope for both. Even in the darkness of sin, the Lord will be a light.

Micah goes on to lead the nation in a sample prayer of repentance (Micah 7:9-10). His hope is that the people would bear God's indignation at sin, recognize their sin, repent, and wait for God's deliverance. After such repentance and salvation, the Lord can rebuild lives (Micah 7:11). Place your hope in God for a sure salvation!

No comments:

Post a Comment