Thursday, August 6, 2015

eschatology is about the knowledge of God

And my holy name I will make known in the midst of my people Israel, and I will not let my holy name be profaned anymore. And the nations shall know that I am the Lord, the Holy One in Israel. Behold, it is coming and it will be brought about, declares the Lord God. That is the day of which I have spoken.
Ezekiel 39:7-8

In the middle of some end times prophecy, God gives this reminder of His purposes for setting Israel aright and moving the world to know Him as the God Who lives in covenant with Israel. The purpose of eschatology is the knowledge of God. The reason that God has pulled back the veil on the future in limited ways throughout the scripture is to make Himself known to the world. It isn't to scare us. It isn't to make us purveyors of doom and gloom. It isn't to turn us into prophecy aficionados. It is to make the world clearly aware of Who God is and to show His holiness, strength, and love.

The certainty with which God reveals this is clear. There will be future enemies of Israel that will nearly succeed in forming a crushing military alliance against God's people. But God will end their aggression. And Israel will emerge delivered yet again by God. God will keep His covenant in a way in which all the world will know His holy name. And it will lead to worship of His holy name.

Lord,
You know the future. And You control the future. You will lead me right now as You have in the past. History is in Your hands, as is every destiny. I will trust You and not worry about my future. It all leads to You being glorified!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment