Thursday, April 16, 2015

what leaders need

And all Israel heard of the judgment that the king had rendered, and they stood in awe of the king, because they perceived that the wisdom of God was in him to do justice.
1 Kings 3:28

What does it take to lead well? There are many things that constitute real, effective leadership. Certainly there are personality traits and people skills. But what made Solomon a great leader was his submission to the wisdom of God. When the Lord offered him anything to have as Israel's new king, Solomon humbly asked God to give him wisdom -- not wealth, power, fame, or personality. And it was wisdom from God that blessed Solomon and the nation intensely.

Solomon's wise and just decisions were what attracted people to his leadership. They confirmed him as king. They pointed to the God Who gave Solomon wisdom. It was clear that the justice that the king administered was God's justice. The wisdom by which he ruled Israel was God's wisdom. Solomon began his reign with a unique transparency of purpose that blessed the nation. God led through the king.

My leadership is within the Church, and I must always learn from this time in Solomon's life. God must lead His people. He uses pastors and ministry leaders to do so. But any wisdom that I have of my own personality or force of will is bound to eventually run dry if I don't seek God's wisdom. I want God to be seen in the way that I serve His church. May the Lord grant that others perceive that the wisdom of God is in me to do justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment