Tuesday, April 7, 2015

David's monument

“For this I will praise you, O Lord, among the nations,
and sing praises to your name.
Great salvation he brings to his king,
and shows steadfast love to his anointed,
to David and his offspring forever.”
2 Samuel 22:50-51

The words of the eighteenth psalm are shared in this summary of David's kingship in 2 Samuel. The poetry recognizes the history, recapping the highs  and lows of David's experience as king in a personal, worshipful, and compelling song of praise. David's gift of worship art shines in the lines of the song. After all his struggles, all the powerful leadership gains as king, after his sins and failures, after God's grace restored him and as the king reflected on God's special covenant with him, David wrote these words to endure forever.

Most kings leave earthly monuments of stone. The Mediterranean world and the middle east are dotted with their remains: pyramids, obelisks, sphinxes, stone wall friezes, temples, war stories in stone and temples to victories. David's monument is in letter and verse. It is built of pure words of praise and worship. It celebrates God. And because it is inspired by the Holy Spirit as God's Word, it will last forever! The pyramids will crumble to Egyptian dust. Sands will erase all the temples and monuments of man. But God's Word abides forever!

Lord,
I desire that what is left of this life will be what You have made of it from Your Word, Spirit, and sovereign care. I have nothing. I am nothing. I will leave behind no vast estate, no world recognized leadership or wealth. I will have no earthly fortune for others to claim. But I have kept myself at the regular task of reflecting on Your greatness and following You. Worship is my wealth. And may what I have gained for eternity in knowing You be the wealth I leave right now with others who desperately need to have the same future. 
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment