Monday, March 2, 2015

God of my past, present, and future




Now, therefore, thus you shall say to my servant David, ‘Thus says the Lord of hosts, I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, that you should be prince over my people Israel. And I have been with you wherever you went and have cut off all your enemies from before you. And I will make for you a great name, like the name of the great ones of the earth.'
2 Samuel 7:8-9

David's past (I took you), his present (I have been with you wherever), and his future (I will make for you) were all in God's control. The answer that God gives to David who longs to build a temple to the Lord in Jerusalem confirms God's love and his plans for the king. God took a shepherd boy who faithfully led and protected the sheep and made him king and leader in Israel over God's flock. He took David from the pasture to the palace. He directed David's steps, from slaying Goliath, to serving Saul, to running from the king's insane tirades, to destroying Philistine armies, to coronation by all of Israel as the nation's undisputed leader.

God had plans for David. He would eventually enter into a unique covenant with the king and his descendants that would bless the entire earth. From David's bloodline would come a Savior for all. And Jesus Himself was the Son of David forever fulfilling the promise of David's name being great in the earth. God controlled David's future.

O God of my past,
I thank You that You have taken me from all my humble past, from my fallen brokenness, from my sinful wandering, and You have saved me, blessing me in Your royal presence through Jesus every day.

O God of my present,
I know now that You lead my life, even as it turns in unseen directions, heads down paths that are blind to me, or calls me to difficulty in my journeys. You are leading and controlling my destiny for my good and for Your glory.

O God of my future,
You will lead me to You, which is all that I need. I only want to hear You say to me, "Well done, good and faithful one."
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment