Thursday, April 25, 2024

I sought. He saved.


I will be found by you, declares the LORD, and I will restore your fortunes and gather you from all the nations and all the places where I have driven you, declares the LORD, and I will bring you back to the place from which I sent you into exile.
Jeremiah 29:14

There is a lot concerning Israel being promised in this verse. I am careful to note that the restoration referred to here in this prophecy has a multi-faceted way to be understood. There is a sense to the original audience, a sense to a bigger future plan for Israel, and also a principle that helps me analyze my own experiences.

First, to Jeremiah’s original audience there is hope after judgement upon their disastrous idolatry and sinful rejection of God. Yes, a nation would be exiled to Babylon for 70 years after a horrific siege of Jerusalem. But God assures them He would lead them back after that experience. And they would once again seek Him. He would restore them.

Secondly, the clear broader language that speaks about exiles scattered “to all the places I have driven you” indicates that a second, yet-to-be-realized restoration that affects a worldwide Diaspora of Jews is yet to come. There is a global return to God among professing Jews… a trust in Him that will compel them to return to the physical land of Israel. That is happening and yet to be completed.

Finally, a principle to help me understand my circumstances: In my awareness of needing God I will “find Him”. But it is actually God who does so much more than I do in pursuing Him. He pursues me! God restores. God re-gathers. God brings me back to peace and safety. I must submit, but God does the saving. I must seek, but God does the transforming of my heart and my life. It is all God’s work for His glory! He restores my soul! He gets the credit! God deserves the praise!

No comments:

Post a Comment