Monday, September 9, 2024

The gospel is our story.

And immediately he proclaimed Jesus in the synagogues, saying, “He is the Son of God.”
Acts 9:20

Every life transformed by the dramatic saving work of Jesus can, like Saul, soundly proclaim “Jesus is the Son of God”. The gospel changes us. It calls us to more than just a new theology. It calls us into relationship with the God Who saves. And God will show that transforming salvation to us in Jesus, maybe not as dramatically as He did on the Damascus road with Saul, but we will know it and willingly embrace it as our story.

The gospel was Saul’s story from the moment of his conversion. The first chance he got, Saul was preaching about Jesus being God’s Son and the Messiah, arguing his case convincingly to anyone who would listen to him (Acts 9:22). The man who hated Christians became one! The one zealous to end gospel preaching by death boldly preached the gospel to great effect at the risk of his own life. The persecutor became the persecuted.

I may not have the kind of conversion that merits a Damascus road kind of categorization, but it is my duty and privilege to share Jesus with passion and purpose. Jesus saved me from a disastrous disbelief and ignorance of Him. My family needed His salvation. And in 1971, after redeeming both my parents from the brink of brokenness, Jesus shone the gospel upon me. I know that seven years of age seems young, but I vividly remember the day that I understood that Jesus died for my sins and rose again to defeat death. And suddenly I knew Jesus had transformed by parents. And I knew I needed a Savior too. The gospel came alive in my mind, and when I believed, my heart was changed. And this began my life of following Jesus. I will always tell my story unashamed. Jesus saved me not just from sin, but from what could have been an empty life without Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment