Wednesday, April 10, 2024

restoring shepherd


He restores my soul.
He leads me in paths of righteousness
for his name's sake.
Psalm 23:3

Jesus is my restorative Shepherd. As I meditate on Psalm 23 this morning, this most familiar passage of scripture, last expounded to me at a season of unfathomable grief, emphasizes for me the way that Jesus has shepherded my soul through the darkest experiences and into new sources of joy and seasons of intense renewal.

I am kept by Jesus, the Good Shepherd. I do not lack (Psalm 23:1). I can rest in fields of plenty and refresh myself by still waters of His peace, my soul no longer anxious or troubled by lack or by loss (Psalm 23:2). And this is how my soul is now restored. I am led by a tender Shepherd down the best paths of my life… even though I was once personally unsure at the path He had for me.

Jesus walked me through the valley of the shadow of death. And the evils around me, though real, and painful, did my soul no harm (Psalm 23:4a). Jesus has brought comfort in His Word, by His Spirit, and among His people (Psalm 23:4b). He has fed me, He has healed me, He has held me, He has kept me from the worst that my troubled soul has known (Psalm 23:5). And my Shepherd has restored life by His grace, goodness, and mercy as I dwell in worship of my restoring Shepherd forever (Psalm 23:6)! I truly live! My Shepherd restores my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment