Wednesday, January 25, 2017

the thief of God's glory

 
Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble.
Matthew 6:34

Waking up from a restless sleep to this reminder from Jesus could be no more timely. I should have thought on these words before bed! My problem with anxiety is that I think I am sovereign over my life and actions. I think that I have to plan it, do it, solve it, fix it, be there for it all, and have it all together to be fulfilled. But every one of these self expectations is God's job. I worry becuase I try to do God's job. 

Jesus illustrates God's sovereign care with birds and flowers. God takes care of animals and fields and never misses one moment. Every bird on the wing and wildflower blooming knows the Creator's sovereign care... and they do not worry. They just live for the glory of the Creator. So should I.

Lord,
I confess I have struggled against living for Your glory. I've let worry steal my peace and joy by usurping Your glory for myself. I am a glory thief. I've worried that recent circumstances will make me look bad, or make what I do look bad, and in doubling my efforts to take control, I've let worry rob Your glory as I've tried to look like the smooth controller of my life. I confess this as sinful anxiety and selfish worry. I want no part of them any longer because they do not bring Your peace. I ask Your forgiveness as I again seek to trust You to make Your beautiful, sovereign, redemptive plan work in my world.
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment