Friday, December 16, 2016

Shepherd

 
He will tend his flock like a shepherd;
he will gather the lambs in his arms;
he will carry them in his bosom,
and gently lead those that are with young.
Isaiah 40:11
 
Look upon that manger scene and see the shepherds adoring their Savior, Jesus Christ the Lord. God intended for simple peasant shepherds to be the first to know about the Lamb of God come to save His people from their sins. He too would shepherd His people. Jesus is both Lamb of God and the Great Shepherd Who gives His life for the sheep.

Hundreds of years before angels spoke from the stars telling shepherds where to find an infant Savior, Isaiah foretold the tender care of the Great Shepherd. Jesus tends His flock. He cares for us. He gathers lambs up to hold them close, and He gently leads His people. Jesus loves us in this way because the Lord is our Shepherd and we shall not be in want. Jesus came to care for us like no one has. He came to lead us like no one could. He came to give His life for us so that we might be saved in Him, by Him, to Him as His flock. Jesus is our Shepherd and we shall not want.

O Lamb of God and Shepherd of my soul,
By Your blood I am forgiven and by Your life I am given life. But I must be led by my Great Shepherd. I must know how You gather me close and gently lead me, though I am prone to wander. Your rod and staff comfort me. The voice of Your Word calls me and I know You in that voice and follow You. Each manger scene that I see this Christmas reminds me of Your Shepherding love for my sheepish, wandering soul. Thank You, Lord!
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment