Tuesday, December 13, 2016

present and future Messiah

 
In that day the root of Jesse, who shall stand as a signal for the peoples—of him shall the nations inquire, and his resting place shall be glorious.
Isaiah 11:10

Isaiah foretells of Jesus in this passage. And as I look back at the prophecy fulfilled, I am in awe of what God has done in sending His Son. So long ago, centuries before Jesus was born, God spoke through Isaiah of a branch sprouting forth from a broken stump of Jesse. A Messiah would come from David's line. He would be known by the Spirit of God clearly at work in His wisdom, words, and rule.

The Branch out of Jesse would bring justice. He will judge the wicked of the earth and bring justice to the weak, poor, and oppressed among all the nations. He is adorned and strengthened by faithfulness to God's Law and wears righteousness like a warrior's sash around His waist.

The rule of this Messiah restores the world to Eden's gentle and beautiful perfection. There are no more predators to fear. Children romp and play with lions as lambs frolic with wolves. Cobras become baby toys. It is a world where the curse has been lifted and evil no longer imperils human life. Jesus shall reign in such a new earth, and because I know Him as Savior, I shall know Him as the Prince of Peace in a world totally made right again. 

I'm on the back half of my life as I have reached the age where mortality is a daily reminder. That's OK. That is how life works now. And I find myself longing for Eden's perfection to come not just to my body (as I am reminded every morning of it's slow demise... limping into the kitchen to make coffee, working arthritic fingers so that I can grab a Bible and turn the pages), but to all of Creation. We groan together, this world and I. We want to know that Jesus rules over this all and I know that with my own eyes (and without the aid of trifocals) in a resurrected new life, I shall see and experience that Jesus' resting place is glorious. I long to breath the invigorating air of that land!

No comments:

Post a Comment