Thursday, February 11, 2016

by way of reminder

Therefore I intend always to remind you of these qualities, though you know them and are established in the truth that you have.
2 Peter 1:12

Needing reminders is a good thing. It is sometimes a necessary thing. Being regularly reminded is a biblical practice. It is a way to build spiritual disciplines that help us grow in Christian character and service. We need reminders.

Three times in five verses the Apostle Peter commits to reminding us of truth that we may already know. He commits to "always reminding" in verse 12, to "stir up by way of reminder" in verse 13, with the goal that his readers will "be able at any time to recall" in verse 15. He wants sanctified memories instilled in God's people. He wants God's truth in our hearts and minds available for total recall.

I conclude then that any means that keeps God's Word in front of me to stir me to reminder is a good thing. Journaling is a key practice for me, as is scripture memory, repeat reading of Bible texts, reading good, scripturally saturated blogs, and listening to live and recorded expository preaching.

Lord, 
Thanks for the reminder to stay reminded. Fill me with your truth so that I can recall it at any time! 
Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment