Thursday, September 4, 2014

leader, follower, leader

Just as the Lord had commanded Moses his servant, so Moses commanded Joshua, and so Joshua did. He left nothing undone of all that the Lord had commanded Moses.

Joshua 11:15


So we see the fruit of real, personable leadership development. Moses took Joshua under his leadership example to learn to lead the nation, and near the end of Joshua's career he had faithfully done so in a way that carried on Moses' legacy as a leader. This is the way generational leadership should work. The tasks involved in receiving the Promised Land once given to Moses seamlessly found fulfillment in Joshua. God led through two very different men to accomplish His sovereign purpose.


I am both encouraged and challenged as I read this. I am encouraged to see faith extend across generations of leadership. It encourages me to continue serving faithfully as my predecessors did. But it also challenges me to keep developing the next generation of leaders. For a few years now I have had the privilege of doing this very directly. I wish to find the "young eagles" and help them to fly. Whether it is training leaders in seminary, or identifying them in the local church and equipping them for ministry... this is the last and most important work that I must do.


Lord,

My prayer is to be blest by You to find young leaders who might advance the gospel in their generation. I will invest what time that You give to me to help them lead Your people well.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment