Wednesday, August 13, 2014

God's Word & blessing


This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

Joshua 1:8


The Lord promised Joshua success in taking over the Promised Land if he would be a man who committed to faithfully knowing and attending to God's Law. This is an unusual military strategy. The power of Israel's army was not in soldiers on the ground, swords, spears, or even training. Their power was found in the God Who fought for them. As they obeyed God, He would provide the victories. And Joshua was to set the standard as commanding general by his public commitment to the Law.


Of course, the powerful impact of this promise was unique to Israel and applied to Joshua. I can't expect quite the same application for me today. But I can know a measure of God's delight by applying myself to delighting myself in His Word. He does not ask me to cross rivers and forcibly take cities. He does ask me to trust Him for direction in my life.


I have spent my lifetime in regular study and thinking through scripture. I do not regret a moment of it. Yes, it has its challenges. Yes, there are parts of the Bible still hard to understand. But I have been so challenged and so changed by what I DO UNDERSTAND about what God has revealed in His Word that I see it as the greatest reward and a priceless treasure in my life. And this fact will keep me following God's truth as He speaks in His Word for the remainder of my days.



No comments:

Post a Comment