Monday, November 6, 2017

kind to many friends


He who withholds kindness from a friend
forsakes the fear of the Almighty.
Job 6:14

This is Job’s complaint in his suffering after his “friends” join him and attempt to bring unasked for perspective to all his losses. They aren’t there out of kindness anymore. It is turning into a very personal theological debate with Job’s integrity questioned at the center. Job has had a reputation as a righteous man who obeys God and does good to others. He was a friend who was known for his kindness to people. But when the tables turn and he is the one in need, he does not receive much of the same from those friends of his who came to him in his trouble.

Job lets us in on the proper motivation for altruism and real friendship. We are kind to people because we love and fear God. Those who love God, respect His Word, obey Him and worship God are going to be kind to people and especially so with their friends. They cannot help it. To resist kindness is to resist God’s work in them. The overflow of their true relationship with God is true care for people. This builds solid relationships when all parties honor God. God’s people do not withhold kindness. God spreads His beneficent grace around the world because the sun and the rain help both the righteous and the unrighteous alike. This is common grace.

I want grace to flavor my life not only in what I receive from God in Christ, but also in what I bring to all my friendships. I am truly blessed with many friends both inside and outside the church. I love them all. And if Jesus is really my Master, He calls me to a generous kindness to each and every one of them. I want to always be generous in my friendship, sharing my life, never withdrawn out of fear for safety, or self-righteous judgment, but instead... like Jesus... learn to be the friend of all people that I can. And the fear of God, obeying and worshiping in love, will help me be this sort of friend who never withholds kindness.

No comments:

Post a Comment