Monday, August 28, 2017

Follow your heart?


There is a way that seems right to a man,
but its end is the way to death.
Proverbs 16:25

In the light of this proverb it would seem the worst advice for living is "follow your heart". Our insights, wants, desires, and dreams left to themselves are all warped by sin. Mix that with emotionalism and the result is a recipe for death according to this warning. What I naturally choose for life direction outside the wisdom of God is deadly to me. I need some light to shine on my choices.

Thankfully, God is not hiding. He has made Himself known in His Word and He sent His Son into the world to show the way and provide the solution for my heart's sin problem. And Jesus defeated death in His empty grave. I then have the means to live beyond my deathly choices. My Savior can lead me in paths of life, light, security, and peace.

I must be suspect of all my motives and desires, forcing them into the light of the truth of the Bible. I must scrutinize my wants and desires, surrendering every one of them to the Lordship of Jesus Christ. I must "take every thought captive to the obedience of Christ" (2 Corinthians 10:5). This new direction away from the path of death starts with my thinking. Jesus must renew my mind through His Word.

And I also have a helper to guide me in all truth (John 17:13-14). The Holy Spirit resides with me, nudging me in the light of the path to life. He works with the Word of God, leading me to gospel repentance as I continue to walk with my Lord. God has given me every reason to trust Him and every resource to follow Jesus. Don't follow your heart... follow Jesus. He leads to everlasting life!

No comments:

Post a Comment